Sunday, January 15, 2012

Church Record Sunday: St. Donatus Iowa

   As a historically Luxembourger community, St. Donatus, Iowa drew many new Luxembourger immigrants- which means that their records should show up in the records of the local Catholic churches. Many are of these records are not online, but some helpful hints to finding them are...
  1) St. Donatus is still an active parish, as are the Roman Catholic churches of the area which also housed Luxembourger immigrants. If you're looking for a record, you may want to contact the parishes at http://www.stjosephbellevue.org/.
   2) The Family History Library has microfilmed the local cemetery records. Iowa Genweb lists the microfilm numbers and a description at http://iagenweb.org/jackson/FHC/FHC_Cemetery.html. Verify the microfilm number before ordering the microfilm - the site dates from 2007. 
   3) St. Donatus actually has a parish museum containing artifacts from the early years of the parish and more importantly, genealogical records. Information  on the museum can be found at http://www.luxamculturalsociety.org/StDonatusHeritageMuseum.htm.

I'm sure there is more online, and I'd love to hear what you've found.

2 comments:

  1. I have always found the parish secretaries and priests to be very kind and helpful. I needed some help with my Polish ancestry on my father's side and the priest located the original marriage record and translated it for me giving me their hometowns in Poland!
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had great luck with parish records as well. I love using them as resource!

    ReplyDelete