Thursday, February 23, 2012

WeRelate Variant Names Project

    This morning's article on the National Genealogical Society blog introduced me to a tool that I think has great potential for Luxembourg-American researchers. WeRelate is in the process of building a database of variant first and surnames. The idea is pretty simple - you plug in a name and are given a list of other names to search as well. When linked to search function, it can pull up additional records. Right now, the database is still in development and is admittedly clunky. You'll get the list of related names and an option for adding your own variants. I played with my Luxembourger ancestor's surname since I've learned the common "errors." Thus far there's only one variant that I know shows up on the records. The other suggestions would lead me to different  families. But with patience, this might work...

No comments:

Post a Comment