Friday, March 16, 2012

Follow Friday: Iowa Backroads

 Started as a project to photograph all of Iowa's towns, Iowa Backroads helps paint a  "picture" of your ancestor's homeplaces. The author, Brian McMillin, has documented Iowa's small communities through photographs and small descriptions of his images. He has illustrated churches, historical societies, social groups and more. His work has produced images of many of Iowa's Luxembourger communities.

   I especially appreciated Brian's recent post. His photograph of Saint Donatus (St. Donatus, Iowa) gave me new insight into a church where my ancestor and his extended family once worshiped. I never knew the modern church wasn't the original. I'm looking forward to discovering more of Luxembourger life in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment