Monday, March 12, 2012

Mappy Monday: What can I do if I can't find a map of the area where my ancestors lived?

   One of my greatest frustrations in doing my Luxembourger research comes from being unable to find a map that shows where my ancestors lived in the United States. By and large, my ancestors' hometowns were - and still are - very rural. In my Connecticut research, the area was crowded, and the maps were detailed. That isn't true in the areas where my Luxembourger ancestors lived. Only rarely can I even locate plot maps.
   So I've started to create my own. Google Maps (maps.google.com) allows you to create your own map. Click on my places, and then create maps. Once there, you can search for your locations and drop place markers (the blue dot) to mark the sites. It's a great way to figure out exactly where that church is.

No comments:

Post a Comment