Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sentimental Sunday, the Octave

   As I've often mentioned, I love learning more about my Luxembourg ancestry. When I started researching this line in detail a year or so ago, I knew my family was from Hostert, Luxembourg. And that was about it. Doing some digging around holidays has allowed me to learn a lot more. For one thing, I'm slowly discovering that Luxembourg has some very special traditions.
   One of these traditions, called the Octave, is being celebrated this week. The Octave is an annual pilgrimage to the cathedral in Luxembourg City. Week-long (from April 28th to May 5th), it brings together pilgrims from surrounding countries in the celebration of masses honoring the Virgin. The tradition dates back to the 1600s. In 1666, Mary was chosen as the patron saint of Luxembourg and their protector from the plague. Images online reveal Luxembourg's deep Catholic roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment