Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sentimental Sunday: Postcards of old Luxembourg

   The deeper I get into research, the more interested I get in discovering how my ancestors lived and what their lives might have looked like. For one line, this process is fairly easy. I live close to their home, and it's still fairly rural. It's not too much of a jump to imagine back two centuries. That's not true for my ancestors in Luxembourg.
   That's why I was so thrilled to stumble across the Old Postcards website. Featuring a native Luxembourg photographer, the site offers a biography, as well as photographs from many of the villages across the country. J.M. Bellwald  was born in 1871 and traced the evolution of photography over the next seventy years. His postcards traced life in many different villages. I recognized one from my family tree. If you happen to be from Echternach, you're in luck!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! Thanks for the link. I've been looking at Beaufort postcards. This site is going in my favorites.

    ReplyDelete