Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sentimental Sunday: Traditional Patterns for Needlework?

   This is a "posing a question" post. Can anyone suggest sources for learning about traditional Luxembourger needlework patterns? If you've read my blogs in the past, you know I love cross-stitch. I've found some great traditional patterns from the Alsace region of France, but I'd love to be able to work on projects reflecting my family's ancestry - and I'm sure I'm not alone. Most of my searches turn up general sites, so help would be greatly appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. I love cross stitch, too! Well, I don't have an answer for you, but I do follow a blog that is constantly showcasing historic needlework patterns. Maybe they could point you in the right direction. Www.needleprint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, Thanks! The blog is fantastic, and I hadn't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a cross stitch addict too. I cannot answer your question on historic needlework patterns, but have you thought about creating a sampler reflecting your ancestors' lives and interests. I created one for my parent's wedding annviersary, showing motifs and small designs e.g. landmarks near where they were born, red rose & thistle representing Lancashire and Scottish elements, pets, symbols of work, my mother's sewing interests, musical interests - all with a springlike green and yellow border as they married in April. It was great fun to compose from various books and magazines and it meant a lot to Mum and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion. I just have to get up the nerve! I've only been cross stitching for a few years and feel like I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete