Saturday, February 9, 2013

Follow up to tech Tuesday: new Luxembourg database

   It took much longer than anticipated, but I finally managed to locate my ancestors in the 1851 Luxembourg census. Am I thrilled? A little. I would have loved for them to be in the first 150 images, but that's life. What did  I find that was new? First of all, one of my ancestors was a skilled laborer. This is atypical for a Luxembourg-American immigrant. Most were day laborers and left after being hit by the land crisis. My ancestor was older - and may have left to follow his sons Second, I confirmed what I suspected. My immediate ancestor had a sister who does not appear on their immigration lists. I had hoped that she stayed behind in Luxembourg. Unfortunately, she also does not appear on the 1851 census. Since she would have been an infant at the time, it's valid to assume that she died soon after birth  Back to the death records... The only downside to new records is that you have to recheck old ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment