Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday's Tip: Useful Tips for Tracing Luxembourg-American Families

  I've been doing a lot of digging in my Luxembourg family tree recently. I've hit a lot of blocks  - but also learned new research tricks. I thought I would share a few of my favorites.
    1) Work from specific to vague.  I know a lot about my family, which in theory, should help my research. Except when the family name is misspelled. I've seen spellings recently that had no resemblance to the actual family name. How did I find them? I started dropping information from my searches - and turned up a few things I wouldn't have found otherwise.
    2) Be open to looking elsewhere.  I've actually found Luxembourger relatives in Canada. Lose the location you expect  - you don't know what you'll find!
     3) Trust your instincts. I guessed about where one ancestor had died based on the last place I could find him living in the census. When I finally was able to check the death indexes, there he was.

I know these are basics, but it's amazing how I forget them!

No comments:

Post a Comment